If you’re planning an adventure to the Caribbean, you may be wondering whether to head out to St. Thomas or St. John Islands. You poor soul.
That’s a bit like deciding between cheesecake or salmon mousse for dessert, isn’t it?
What this boils down to is pure excitement as both islands are a great choice and both offer similarities and differences.
What Are the Differences:
What Are the Similarities:
- St. John is the smallest of the two with a lower population
- St. Thomas is much more upscale for shopping, dining, and nightlife
- St. Thomas docks most cruise ships although St. John does have a smaller dock
- St. Thomas hosts many stores and restaurants and is more commercialized
- St. Thomas is well known for its nightlife
- St. John is more peaceful and features wonderful hiking, nature, and picnicking
- St. John does not have a major airport so overall, fewer people arrive there
- Both St. John and St. Thomas are protectorate territories of the United States
- Both speak predominantly English
- Neither islands mandate a passport for citizens of the USA
- Both have breathtaking beaches
- Both have great weather all year
- Both are susceptible to hurricane season
So when determining which island to vacation on, it just depends on what you like to do and your personal preference.
If you are a wild child and love to dine, drink, and dance, St. Thomas would be a clear choice.
If you like to go hiking, explore nature, or meditate on the beach alone, St. John is your
destination and St. John Villa Rental
the clear choice for your home away from home.
Since both islands feature white sands and beautiful blue waters, it could be a difficult choice as both have plenty of that.
So Which is Better for You?
St. John has family-friendly hands down with some 5,000 service industry workers, all of whom want only to provide you with
just about anything and everything your heart could desire. In terms of keeping the kids occupied and happy, St. John again is the clear winner.
Having close to half of the island set aside by the Virgin Islands National State Park
, St. John is seriously devoted to being a holiday destination
focused on outdoor activity. One last item on our list; if you are a newlywed or looking for romance, look no further, St. John has that covered with
low lights, champagne, and romantic dinner music. Romance doesn’t get any better than this!